History of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church Dromana
In 1902 land was donated (in Foote Street, Dromana) for the purpose of a church building. A new wooden Church dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, was opened on the 5th April 1903. There were only 8 Catholic families in Dromana at the time.
Between 1912-1966 further land abutting the Church was acquired. The total area, now held by the Church comprised just over 3 acres.
During this time, the Dromana Church was part of the Mornington Parish.
On the 23rd February 1972 Fr. John S. Woodcock was appointed as the first parish priest of Dromana Parish. A new brick Church was built and opened on 30th May 1975.
Fr. Kevin Manning was appointed Parish Priest on 26th January 1980. With his great artistic talent, the decorations of the Church for Easter, Christmas, and Wedding Celebrations had visitors coming from near and far.
In 1983 a new presbytery was built. In 1991 fire destroyed the old timber church which was used as the parish hall. A new brick hall was built in 1993.
In 1993 four members of the missionary Sisters of St. Joseph Cluny took up residence in a property at the corner of Pt Nepean Road and Foote St. They soon became entrenched in parish activities and also visited the sick and house bound, and provided comfort to the dying. They remained in residence until their property was sold in 2013.
In 1998 the care of the Parish was handed over to the Order of St. Paul the First Hermit, and Fr. Michael Szymaniski was appointed Parish Priest. In 2002 Fr. Januz Pawlicha was appointed Parish Priest. 13 years later in 2015 Fr. Albert Wasniowski was appointed Parish Priest.
From 1 November 2016 Fr. Peter Zytka took over as Parish Priest and continues to do so.
For a more detailed history of the parish, you can download a PDF copy of James B. Mannix's Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish Dromana: A Short History.